Supporting Students with English as an Additional Language
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Unit Code: EDU80047
Contact Hours: Recommended 12 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit is designed to prepare pre-service teachers to plan, teach and assess students with English as an additional language or dialect
(EAL/D) using a strengths-based approach and guided by the Australian Curriculum (or a relevant State/Territory curriculum document).
In addition, pre-service teachers will examine and critically analyse theoretical perspectives and research based evidence to provide
additional support for students to develop proficiency in Standard Australian English (SAE).
- The nature of English and the theory and principles of second language pedagogy
- Factors that impact on EAL teaching and learning
- Sociocultural contexts of learning and understanding linguistic and cultural diversity in schools
- State and national curriculum documents, policy and assessment protocols
- Designing appropriate lessons and adapting materials to maximise educational opportunities for all EAL learners.
- Lesson planning and activities that incorporate ICT