Supporting Diversity and Equity
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Unit Code: EDU30013
Contact Hours: Recommended 10 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit focuses on an equality approach to education and explores its implications for teaching and learning. Perspectives on stereotypes and bias will be explored, helping to foster mutual respect in learning environments. Pre-service teachers will become aware of the responsibility that teaching professionals have and how they can advocate for social justice for children and young people including political and legislative contexts.
Pre-service teachers will gain an understanding of the variety of needs and backgrounds children and young people can present in the learning environment. They will become familiar with many additional needs and cultural variations children can present with and how to address them effectively in order to support inclusive practices. They will also recognise how to create equitable learning environments that benefit teaching and learning for children and young people.
- UN Rights of the Child
- Relevant national and/or state and territory policies on social justice for children
- Relevant national and/or state and territory Department of Education policies on mandatory reporting
- Gender equality in learning environments
- Pedagogical approaches that support equity and diversity
- Principles of Learning and Teaching (PoLT)
- Defining bias and stereotypes
View further information on this unit.