Families, Community and Citizenship
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Unit Code: EDU30006
Contact Hours: Recommended 10 hours of study per week
About this unit
In this unit, students focus on contemporary families in Australia and a range of issues impacting on family life. A variety of theoretical approaches are considered. This information is applied in an exploration of the nature of desirable relationships between teachers and families in early learning settings and schools. Interconnections between children, families and communities are examined with a focus on the implications for teachers’ practice.
- What are the humanities in education?
- Communities and citizenship
- Cultural diversity and its impact on Australian communities
- Family structures and functioning in the contemporary Australian context and their impacts on children
- Cross-cultural child rearing
- Community engagement and partnerships
- Family-centred practice and its application to teaching in early childhood settings and schools
- Linking early learning services to their geographical and professional communities through strategic relationships
View further information on this unit.