Entry into this course is based on an applicant’s previous study, demonstrated knowledge and skills, and/or work history. It is recommended that all applicants attend a course information session.
You are required to complete VCE (within the past seven years), with a minimum score of 20 for English or 25 in EAL. You must also have a satisfactory score for Units 1 and 2 in Maths or ACSF Exit Level 3 (working at Level 4), or above, in both Reading and Numeracy, as determined by an online literacy and numeracy test issued by Swinburne Online.
English language requirements
The Diploma of Nursing has entry criteria set by the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council. All students entering this course must demonstrate they have achieved the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) specified level of English language skills, prior to commencing the course.
You must demonstrate your English language competency in one of the following ways:
- You completed your schooling in Australia or at a school taught and assessed in English.
- You have achieved a specified minimum score in an approved English language test, such as IELTS, OET, PTE or TOEFL iBT. (For full English language requirements, please see the Diploma of Nursing Entry Criteria page.)
Please review the following additional requirements before submitting your application:
- You must maintain a current Police Check and Working with Children Check for the duration of the course.
- The first unit of this course, HLTAID003 Provide First Aid, must be completed prior to your first placement in November 2020. This requirement can be filled by providing evidence of your completion in an Accredited First Aid course. You can complete this through different provider including St. John Ambulance Australia and Australian Red Cross.
- This course requires up-to-date evidence of immunisations. If you are not able to provide up-to-date evidence, you will not be able to attend the clinical placement component of this course. For more information about the minimum immunisation requirements please visit the health.vic website. Additional immunisations may be required in response to any changes in Government policy or the specific requirements of the organisation you attend for your clinical placement. Further information will be provided at the commencement of the course.
- Applicants without formal qualifications but with significant relevant work experience are welcome to apply.