Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Unit Code: EDU30063
Contact Hours: Recommended 10 hours of study per week
About this unit
Pre-service teachers are given the chance to familiarise themselves with English in the Primary Classroom. Students will learn how to plan, teach and assess all aspects comprising the relevant National and/or State or Territory English Curriculum – reading, writing, speaking and listening (including phonemic awareness) – and relate this to the relevant National and International standards for English. The concept of multiple literacies will also be embedded into all aspects of this unit, highlighting its presence in 21st Century learning.
Topics to be discussed may include:
- Plan and evaluate English lessons and units using the structure and content of the relevant National and/or State or Territory Curriculum including multi-literacies.
- Examine the development of English concepts throughout the primary years of schooling and relate it to the content of the National and/or State or Territory Curriculum.
- Investigate and plan pedagogical approaches to Literacy in the primary years for diverse learners.
- Develop appropriate and inclusive methods and structures for the planning and assessment of English.
- Compare and critically evaluate the benefits and limitations of various forms of assessment and reporting in English.
This unit is found in Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood and Primary).
View further information on this unit.