Social and Emotional Learning
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Unit Code: EDU20014
Contact Hours: Recommended 10 hours of study per week
About this unit
In this unit, pre-service teachers explore theories of social and emotional development that enable children to build a sense of wellbeing and identity in addition to developing resilience. This unit provides pre-service teachers with the knowledge and skills required to develop positive relationships with children. Pre-service teachers are introduced to the major perspectives of understanding and supporting behaviour and explore how these relate to behavioural and educational theories and practices. They explore the role and practice of external agencies and professionals in supporting children, young people, teachers and families.
Students who complete this unit will be able to:
- Understand dimensions of wellbeing
- Understand how wellbeing influences our ability to learn, and which factors influence wellbeing
- Use the PERMA Model of flourishing
- Understand social and emotional learning, as well as positive behaviour support principles and practices
- Understand behaviour intervention versus preventative behaviour techniques
- Plan learning environments that adhere to positive models of behaviour management and include practical approaches to manage challenging behaviour
- Describe a range of strategies for working effectively and ethically with families and external agencies.
View further information on this unit.