Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Unit Code: MDA20011
Contact Hours: Recommended 10 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit explores the nexus between sports, advertising and media. Students will gain an understanding of how sport and advertising function, how they operate in the broader context of television and social media, and the ways in which they impact on ideas of race, nation, audience and merchandising. Students will investigate how social media enables fan engagement with sporting organisations, sports stars and each other, and the implications of this engagement for advertising and sponsorship. The unit will also equip students with the tools necessary to analyse and create a social media sports campaign.
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
- Identify how sport, advertising and media are central to an understanding of ourselves and the society of which we are a part;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the connections between professional sports organisations, social media and fan engagement;
- Critically analyse various social media platforms and campaigns utilised by sports organisations, teams and individual sports stars;
- Construct a social media sports campaign.
This unit is found in:
- Bachelor of Media and Communication with a Major in Media Studies
- Bachelor of Media and Communication with a Major in Public Relations
- Bachelor of Media and Communication with a Major in Advertising
View further information on this unit.