Literacy and Numeracy Across the Curriculum
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Unit Code: EDU70014
Contact Hours: Recommended 12 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit provides pre-service teachers with a diversity of skills and a depth of knowledge related to literacy and numeracy within the context of Australian schools and curriculum. By engaging in student-directed inquiry into their chosen subject areas, pre-service teachers will analyse and synthesise understanding of the literacy and numeracy demands and conventions of these areas, and plan for literacy and numeracy development within their subject teaching. This learning will be further critically analysed through group responses to scenarios, reinforcing the position that all teachers are teachers of literacy and numeracy, regardless of their teaching specialisation and context.
- What is literacy? What does it mean to be literate?
- What is numeracy? What does it mean to be numerate?
- New media and literacy
- Subject area literacy and numeracy
- Literacy across curriculum priority
- Numeracy across the curriculum
- Mathematical literacy
- Numeracy concepts and skills
- Numeracy strategies and activities
- Effective teaching of literacy and numeracy
- Effective assessment of literacy and numeracy
- Students with additional needs in literacy and numeracy
View further information on this unit.