Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Unit Code: LAW10026
Contact Hours: Recommended 10 hours of study per week
About this unit
The aim of this unit is to introduce students to the different styles of legal writing and will develop skills in communicating to both a legal and non-legal audience. Students will also develop skills and gain experience in the review and critique of legal writing, general legal
editing, conducting reference checks and ensuring conformity with legal referencing style guides, with students given the opportunity to apply these skills practically in the context of scholarly peer-reviewed legal journals.
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
- Develop knowledge of the different kinds and styles of legal writing
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate to both a legal and non-legal audience through the different kinds of legal writing
- Develop and apply skills in legal research including in conducting reference checks and ensuring conformity with legal referencing style guides
- Develop and demonstrate the skills of assessment and evaluation of legal writing through the review and critique of different kinds of legal writing.
- Develop the ability to critically reflect on own writing and the development of writing ability