Introduction to Data Science
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Unit Code: COS10022
Contact Hours: Recommended 10 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit aims to develop students’ conceptual and practical understanding of the field of data science in the contexts of real-world applications. The students will learn about basic concepts, key techniques and popular tools in various aspects of data science, following the lifecycle of a practical data science project which involves data collection, management, wrangling, analytics and visualisation. They will gain the understanding of how to identify and define data science relevant tasks in practical scenarios, and acquire the ability to apply given techniques and tools to resolve given data science relevant tasks.
Topics may include:
- Foundations of data science
- Data science in real world
- Lifecycle of practical data science projects
- Data collection: basic concepts, techniques and tools
- Data management: basic concepts, techniques and tools
- Data wrangling: basic concepts, techniques and tools
- Data analytics: basic concepts, techniques and tools
- Data visualisation: basic concepts, techniques and tools
- Applications of given data science relevant techniques and tools to deal with specific data science relevant tasks.
View further information on this unit.