Future of Sport
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Unit Code: SPO30003
Contact Hours: Recommended 10 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit provides the opportunity for students to reflect on the rapidly developing sport industry by exploring seminal and disruptive trends including digitalisation, technology and innovation alongside current economic, commercial, social, environmental and organisational issues in the sport industry. Spanning commercial and participation contexts in local and global settings, students will build on foundational theories of sport management, business and marketing, innovation, leadership and organisations, and sport policy and sociology. The unit focusses on the changing role, operations and value created by and through sport. Especially, how disruptive trends and scenarios will impact organisations, key stakeholders and the delivery of products, services and other sport-based offerings.
Future of sport structures
- Sport in Australia: traditional and emerging sport ecosystems
- Globalisation and the sport business landscape
- Innovation and entrepreneurship in sport business
- Leadership in traditional and emerging sport structures.
Future of sport delivery
- Converging business models and new audiences
- Digital, data and technology: circle of sport consumer innovation
- Sport consumers and consumption: participants, fans and performance
- Sport distribution: new stadiums and media settings.
Future impact of sport
- Role of sport and policy implications: social impact, health and economic value
- Risk and integrity in sport
- Environmental impact of sport-related activities and the impact of ecological developments on sport.
Current and future issues in sport
- Understanding current and future issues
- Forecasting and designing solutions.