Educational Leadership and Policy
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Unit Code: EDU80019
Contact Hours: Recommended 12 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit focuses on developing what it means to be a leader in a contemporary educational setting. It explores key challenges in developing leadership capabilities. Contemporary theories about educational leadership are examined in a national context, and pre-service teachers will be encouraged to reflect on current and likely future issues facing schools and school leaders.
The content around these topics will add to pre-service teachers’ understanding of the dynamics between leadership, culture and change, and the challenges for leaders. Pre-service teachers will develop skills to make sense of and constructively respond to, policies within organisational contexts.
- Educational Leadership in a changing world
- Policy agendas, policy drivers, twenty first century learning
- Challenges in developing educational leadership
- Public education, role of the state, internationalism, globalisation/legislation and responsibilities
- Leadership styles, purpose of educational leadership, roles, governance of schools
- Leadership concepts and theories
- Sustainable and effective leadership
- Women in educational leadership, multiculturalism, diversity, Indigenous leadership
- Democratic leadership, teachers, students, communities
- Complexity theories and organisations
- Teachers, students, communities – action plans
View further information on this unit.