Health and Physical Education in Primary School
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Unit Code: EDU70008
Contact Hours: Recommended 12 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit focuses on the physical, psychological and social development of children and adolescents with a view to providing a theoretical foundation for discussions of appropriate teaching methods in the early and middle years of schooling. The unit covers theories of child development, physical and motor development, catering for individual differences, perceptual development, personality, attachment and attachment behaviour, social competence and identity.
- Key theorists in psychological and social development such as: Piaget; Vygotsky; Kegan; Egan; Erikson; Kohlberg; Gilligan
- The biology and neurology of learning in childhood and adolescence
- Language development and literacy
- Attachment and attachment theory
- The role of play in children’s development
- The impact of social, cultural and environmental factors on children’s cognitive, emotional and social development
- Applying developmental theory in adapting pedagogy to the developmental level of students
- Self-concept and self-worth in childhood and adolescence
View further information on this unit.