English in Primary School
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Unit Code: EDU70007
Contact Hours: Recommended 12 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit prepares pre-service teachers to plan, teach and assess English in the primary classroom. In this unit pre-service teachers gain knowledge of the principles, practices and curriculum context of teaching and learning English in the primary years of education. Key English concepts, such as language acquisition and the teaching of reading and writing, will be addressed.
- Relevant National and/or State or Territory Curriculum
- Contemporary pedagogical approaches and methods of teaching English, including the use of ICT
- English concepts
- Theories of language and literacy development
- Principles of planning and assessing within English
- Strategies for assessing student learning, including the importance and functions of moderation and providing feedback to enhance learning
- Whole language and phonetical approaches
View further information on this unit.