EDU40008 Arts Education
Unit code: EDU40008
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Contact hours: Recommended 8 hours of study per week
About this unit
In this the unit, students will develop understandings of theory and practice in arts education with a focus on dance, drama and music, media and visual arts. They will be able to demonstrate arts skills and an understanding of arts education concepts to a level appropriate for teaching in the primary classroom. A principal outcome will be the ability to design and implement teaching programs in the arts for children. Ultimately, this unit aims to help students gain knowledge and skills to increase their appreciation and understanding of the contribution of the arts to learning in the lives of children. It also explores ways to support and encourage children’s creativity and confidence in expressing themselves.
- Supporting creative expression and self-expression through singing, using musical instruments, movement, drama and dance, media and visual art.
- The historical and pedagogical contexts for a creative arts curriculum.
- Evaluating movement, dance, drama, music, media and visual art resources for primary age children using contemporary pedagogical frameworks.
- Using voice and singing to promote language development, physical skills and movement.
- The roles of the teacher in facilitating children's creative, aesthetic, musical and dramatic development and confidence.
- Imagined spaces: Arts environments that encourage sharing and confidence.
- Imagined places: The arts and cultural contexts.
- Creating an inclusive curriculum that encourages all children, including children with additional needs, to participate in creative arts making and sharing experiences.
- Contemporary approaches to arts learning, teaching and assessment.