Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Unit Code: EDU20001
Contact Hours: Recommended 10 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit aims to familiarise students with literacy in early learning environments. Students will consider children’s language development and how this corresponds to teaching and learning in literacy for young children. Students will gain an understanding of the ways in which children acquire skills, knowledge and attitudes relating to a wide range of literacies. The concept of multiple literacies will also be covered, particularly highlighting its presence in 21st century learning.
- English/Literacy definitions
- Government policy and curriculum on literacy – links to EYLF and or the VEYLDF and relevant National and/or State or Territory Curriculum
- Teaching reading, writing, speaking, listening
- New literacies and inclusion
- Literacy assessment
- Supporting multi-literacies
- Contemporary research into meta-cognition and meta-linguistics.
- Planning for literacy learning
- Strategies to support informal literacy learning
- Strategies to enable ICT to expand literacy teaching
- Technological Interventions in Early Literacy
- EAL (English as an additional language) continuum
- Effective literacy programming options for children in school-based group settings
View further information on this unit.