Academic Skills for Success
Duration: 8 weeks of content studied over a 12 week teaching period
Unit Code: EDU10024
Contact Hours: Recommended 10 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit will equip students with necessary study skills to enable them to excel in their studies. It is aimed at students who have entered their course based on work experience or have not studied recently. This unit is designed to teach students academic skills such as research, essay writing, understanding the nature of academic argument, and critical thinking and written communication.
Unit learning outcomes
- Engage with and develop content knowledge related to the unit theme Contemporary issues in Australian family life.
- Draw on this content to develop key academic skills necessary for success in university study, including: managing time, identifying learning goals, planning and researching assignments, academic reading skills, documenting of sources.
- Understand the nature of an academic argument and critical thinking in university study, including the ability to analyse and evaluate a range of different textual resources.
- Identify the characteristics of effective written communication in academic contexts, and apply this knowledge to the preparation of a range of written assignments
- Reflect on and self-evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of one’s personal academic performance, including identification of strategies for future development.
This unit can be studied as an elective with any bachelor degree.
- Social Science
- Media and Communication
View further information on this unit.