Unit code: EDU10005
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Contact hours: Recommended 10 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit focuses on contemporary and historical Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures, identity, languages, histories, status, challenges, contributions and perspectives. Their impact on Australian society in general will be discussed. Particular attention will be paid to the implications for teaching not only Indigenous children but all children. The roles of early childhood professionals in bringing about reconciliation in a post-apology Australia are explored. This knowledge and understanding contributes to graduates’ cultural competence and promotes culturally inclusive teaching practices based on sensitive and informed relationships. Understanding the history and experience of Australia’s first people is essential in understanding the Australian community and its systems, including education. Students examine educational outcomes for all children, including Indigenous children.
- History and culture of Australia’s first nation Aboriginal people
- The positioning of Indigenous and traditional education systems within the nation state
- The impact of colonisation and issues related to the retaining and maintaining Indigenous and traditional knowledge through education
- The role of international organisations in protecting, preserving and maintaining Indigenous and traditional education systems
- Current and past contributions of Indigenous people
- Contemporary contexts for Indigenous people
- Reconciliation and its implications for teachers
- Anti-Bias Curriculum
- Contemporary research into cross-curriculum dimension of Indigenous perspectives
- Integrating authentic Indigenous studies in the curriculum
- Indigenous perspectives and pedagogy in and Implications for teaching not only Indigenous children but all children.
- Information Technology and Indigenous people
- Roles of teachers in supporting reconciliation in a post-apology Australia
This unit is found in Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood) and Bachelor of Education (Primary).
View further information on this unit.