EDU10002 Understanding Language and Literacy
Unit code: EDU10002
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Contact hours: Recommended 8 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit aims to help students understand the meaning of literacy and multiliteracy and introduces them to theories of literacy development and learning. Students will consider how the skills of reading, writing, listening, speaking, viewing and representing experiences develop and will begin to relate them to the teaching of such skills.
- What is literacy?
- What is multi-literacy?
- Theories of literacy
- Theories of language development: behaviourist, nativist, interactionist , cultural-historical
- How language and literacy develop
- Culture, language and oral traditions
- Components of language: phonology, semantics, grammar, morphology, pragmatics
- Contemporary research into literacy development
- Technology, multimedia and literacies
- Working with families to support language development