DDD20004 Contemporary Design Issues
Unit code: DDD20004
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Contact hours: Recommended 8 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit develops a strategic knowledge of how design is practised in the world today through the exploration of contemporary design and media practices. Students are challenged to consider the technological, economic, social, political, cultural and environmental impact of their work.
The unit will explore a wide range of thematic areas that may include discussions on topics such as:
- The role of design, new technologies and new materials in 21st century
- Cross/inter-disciplinary practices in design and new media
- Key contemporary practitioners
- Design philosophies
- Aesthetics in the 21st century
- Design for environmental, global and social sustainability
- Concepts of user-centred design.
This unit is found in Bachelor of Design with a Major in Communication Design.