Cyber Risk: Data Management
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Unit Code: CYB70002
Contact Hours: Recommended 10 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit provides insights into critical Information System (IS)/Information Technology (IT) & Information Security risk, as well as the corresponding security management issues facing business managers in the effective use of Information Technology in contemporary organisations. Students will develop a critical understanding of cyber risk issues that managers face when doing business, including consideration of impacts of new and emerging threats.
Students will develop a robust understanding of the skills required to adopt and implement, an effective Risk Management Strategy in line with the industry best practice taking into account the nexus between data governance, enterprise data management and cyber security.
- Introduction to basic principles and concepts of the risk management, pivoting quickly to risk within the context of cybersecurity
- Assessing the impact of a cyber-attack on an organisation
- Risk assessment and modelling, and minimising attack surfaces and managing threat vectors
- Importance of useable security; ensuring that security controls and processes are sufficiently agile to adapt to changing threats and are appropriate to, and do not overwhelm business priorities and performance
- Introduction and application of established frameworks for assessing and managing risks: eg Australian Signals Directorate’s (ASD) Australian Government Information Security Manual (ISM), the US National Institute of Standards and Technology’s Cybersecurity Framework and the UK government’s Cyber Essentials
- Understanding and planning for risk associated with human factors in particular insider threat
- Social engineering
- Data and operational risk
- Integrating enterprise risk and cyber risk
- Inherent, current and residual risk
- Asset classification – the identification of Security Controls need to protect assets including data
- Reporting and communicating risk, risk mitigation strategies to stakeholders
- Risk sharing
- Research methods
View further information on this unit.