Capstone Unit: Advanced Topics in Criminology
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Unit Code: CRI30001
Contact Hours: Recommended 10 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit builds on students’ knowledge of criminology gained from earlier units in the course. The focus is on understanding the applications of criminology and criminological research to the Australian justice system. Issues examined in this unit will include proactive crime prevention initiatives, the development and assessment of specialty courts (e.g., drug courts), criminology and gender, criminology and culture, and offender rehabilitation programs.
- Australian criminal justice institutions
- Criminal law in Australia
- Crime and public policy
- Applied criminology: detecting, investigating and responding to crime
- Australian proactive crime initiatives
- Crime and gender
- Crime and culture
- Victims of crime
- Crime and Australian society
- International issues in criminology.