Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Unit Code: COM20001
Contact Hours: Recommended 8 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit is designed to ensure that students are better prepared to communicate in the increasingly multicultural workforce. This is achieved by introducing students to the conceptual and practical dimensions of intercultural communications, using real-world examples to illustrate the complexities of the field.
The unit will provide students with practical techniques for communicating in a multicultural environment, contextualised within contemporary communications theory. By exploring how culture affects communications in a variety of social and business contexts, the unit will investigate how sometimes subtle cultural practices can have a significant impact on personal and professional relations.
Specific topics to be addressed include:
- Perceiving the nature of cultural diversity
- Cultures and microcultures
- World views and their impact on communications
- Understanding intercultural communication and nonverbal messages
- Intercultural Communications and group dynamics
- Dealing with conflict in intercultural communications
- Processes of cultural adaptation
- Key techniques for effective communications
- Technology and its impact on intercultural communications.