Cloud Approaches for Enterprise Systems
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Unit Code: INF20030
Contact Hours: Recommended 10 hours of study per week
About this unit
Explore the critical role cloud-based Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) platforms play in supporting efficient and agile business processes. Contemporary organisations use ERPs for Customer Relationship Management, Supply Chain Management, Financial Management, as well as for bespoke business functions. The design, configuration, integration and operation of these ‘software ecosystems’ is complicated by their scale and the complexity. Through real-world cases, this unit provides an overview of the global, social and economic motivations for cloud-based ERPs and addresses the strategic and managerial issues faced by contemporary organisations as they manage their virtual value chains. Students will examine the different types of cloud-based ERP service models (SaaS, PaaS) and explore the key challenges surrounding the management of cloud-based ERPs particularly process integration and data analytics enablement.
- The strategic and economic context in which modern organisations operate.
- The operational and strategic importance of cloud-based Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems.
- Data security, privacy and data sovereignty issues with cloud-based ERPs.
- The integration of individual organisations into supply chains and supply chain systems through cloud ERP models.
- The lifecycle management challenges of cloud ERPs from solution design, implementation, change management, administration and operational management, and upgrade or decommissioning.
- The future of cloud-based ERPs.