Business, Society and Sustainability
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Unit Code: MGT20008
Contact Hours: Recommended 10 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit challenges students to identify and evaluate major socio-economic issues, the role of various stakeholders, and the potential for business solutions that can drive sustainable development and innovation. A major focus is on gaining a critical appreciation of stakeholder theory, and understanding how this theory frames integrative thinking, across disciplines. It will also cover two important areas that stakeholder theory has helped to shape and define: business ethics and corporate social responsibility.
- The business-society interface
- Theory differentiating between philanthropy, corporate social responsibility and corporate citizenry
- Building sustainable value through Social Enterprise, Microfinance, and Public-Private Partnership (PPP)
- Stakeholder theory
- Emerging issues in social development
- Sustainability and corporate social responsibility
- Impact of climate change on global economic, political and social agendas impacting business and society.