Big Data Management
This unit will teach you to overcome issues in big data collection that arise in business contexts. You’ll learn to manage storage, architecture, cloud-based data, data life cycle and data quality.
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Unit Code: INF20016
Contact Hours: Recommended 10 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit covers the management perspective of contemporary data management (particularly big data) issues in an organisational/ business context. Students will be introduced to issues that arise when data is gathered from multiple sources in various formats for many diverse purposes, as well as the relevant managerial, organisational, governance and Information Technology (IT) strategy issues.
- Contemporary issues in Data management
- Big Data, structured (records) vs unstructured (free-text) (may use open data, web crawler/scraping, SM feeds), Data Warehouse, Data Mart
- DB Storage, Cloud Storage, Master Data Management etc.
- Enterprise data life cycle, data governance
- Infrastructure and Architecture
- Data quality, relevance, data relationships (and/or relationships between datasets), value of data
- Cloud-based Data/Database service providers & models (i.e., IaaS)
- Sourcing & acquisitions of services, SLAs
- ‘Other issues’: legal, ethical, security
View further information on this unit.