Advanced Criminal Law and Sentencing
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Unit Code: LAW20041
Contact Hours: Recommended 10 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit provides students with an understanding of sentencing law principles and practices across Australia. It provides student with a deeper knowledge of criminal law, especially the rules and principles relating to criminal appeals and the criminal principles in each Australian jurisdiction. The unit focuses on the evolving nature of sentencing law, with an emphasis on appropriate and necessary innovations in this area.
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
- Conduct effective legal research of both primary and secondary materials
- Explain contemporary debates about the appropriate manner in which to deal with criminal offenders
- Explain the political, social and economic influences that shape criminal and sentencing law
- Analyse the efficacy of the law to attain the key sentencing objectives in the form of deterrence, rehabilitation and community protection
- Develop recommendations about innovative and technological changes that should be made to sentencing law.