ADV10001 Principles of Advertising
Unit code: ADV10001
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Contact hours: Recommended 8 hours of study per week
About this unit
The unit is designed to build understanding of the principles on which the advertising industry functions, and of advertising’s role in integrated brand promotion. Students will explore the relationship of key theories underlying effective advertising to core advertising practices. They will further apply these principles to given cases.
- Principles of advertising; the notion of brands and advertising's role in business and society; social and cultural perspectives of advertising; the advertising industry in Australia; principles of practice, regulation, the law and ethical considerations; and the challenges of advertising in the 21st century.
- Use of theories in strategic research and planning for advertising purposes such as understanding audience motivations, analysing advertising strategies, and recognising appeals to the consumer.
- Consumer use of print media/channels; integrated advertising campaigns; use of stereotypes and semiotics; Australian creativity and appeals in advertising.
- Creative ideas and concept presentation for print media/channels; copywriting basics, e.g. headlines, and principles of layout and design.
- Persuasive presenting; selling creative ideas; advertising ethics.
This unit is found in Bachelor of Media and Communication with a Major in Advertising.