Accounting Systems and Reporting
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Unit Code: ACC60008
Contact Hours: Recommended 10 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit aims to build a sound understanding of transaction recording and the preparation of the main reports using accounting information systems (AIS). You will build a sound understanding of management accounting foundations and AIS development processes/methods, and of accountants’ role in different stages of the systems development lifecycle. Finally, you will unpack the effects and implications of digital disruption and digital business transformation on accounting functions, and on the required roles and competencies of accountants.
- The role of accounting in business
- Purpose of the conceptual framework and accounting standards
- Recording business transactions and preparing financial reports
- Cost concepts, cost behaviours and costing methods
- Accounting information systems (AIS) sourcing, design and development, implementation, maintenance, and lifecycle management
- Interpretation of financial reports and financial ratio analysis
- Impact of digital disruption and digital business transformation on accounting roles and competencies
- Leveraging digital technologies to expand accounting value creation (e.g., Big data, IoT, blockchain, artificial intelligence, robotics).