Unit code: ACC30005
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Contact hours: Recommended 8 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit aims to help students to understand: the basic concepts of income, capital and gifts; the rules governing allowable deductions and calculate taxable income; basic principles of the Fringe Benefit Taxation legislation; and the complexities of taxation in relation to various taxable entities. Students will research and explain the importance of current and landmark taxation decisions issued by the Courts and Administrative Appeals Tribunal. This will help them understand the major principles of tax planning issues and concepts.
- Concepts of income and assessable income
- Distinction between income and capital
- Fringe Benefits Tax
- Capital Gains Tax
- Source, residency and derivation
- General and specific deductions; non-deductions
- Companies and shareholders
- Individuals and partnerships
This unit is found in Bachelor of Business With a Major in Accounting.