Support for Mentor Teachers
eLearning Advisors (eLAs):
eLAs are online tutors who work with our students to support their learning around the course content. They facilitate groups of around 20 – 30 students and will be the first point of contact for both you and your student. eLAs will email the Mentor Teacher before the placement period commences to support a quality placement experience. They assist by:
- Offering support for the Mentor Teacher when required in addressing the placement assessment.
- Being a point of contact for the education setting and Pre-service Teacher if problems arise during the placement.
- Liaising with the Associate Director of Education to facilitate further action and support as required.
- Providing support for the Mentor Teacher when a support plan has been raised.
This team communicates to all education settings who have accepted a Swinburne Online student. They can assist with:
- Updating placement information.
- Providing payments for the supervision of our Pre-service Teachers.
Phone: 1300 797 765
If you have any feedback about the placement experience, please don't hesitate to let us know!
Support for Pre-Service Teachers
Our pre-service teachers have a number of support options available to them.
eLearning Advisors (eLAs):
Pre-service Teachers will be in regular contact with their eLA throughout the placement to discuss teaching matters.
- Maintain academic oversight over the Practicum Unit.
- Be in regular communication with the Pre-service Teacher during the placement.
- Make direct email contact as required with all Pre-service Teachers during the placement.
- Encourage and support the Pre-service Teacher’s critical reflections on their placement.
- Facilitate group discussion on the professional context which teachers work within.
- Foster an online community of practice among Pre-service Teachers undergoing the placement.
- Provide online support and advice in relation to problems encountered during the placement.
- Assist with the development of strategies and ensure that the Pre-service Teacher is clear about the area/s of concern and how to address it/them should they be deemed to be having difficulty.
- Assess the Pre-service Teacher against the wider unit objectives.
Our Student Advisors are available to help with any query students may have. Available 7 days a week, our Student Advisors ensures that our students are never alone.
- Provides guidance and support to our pre-service teachers when approaching education settings to arrange their placements.
- Confirms the placement arrangement between the student and host education setting.
- Maintains a record of required documentation.