VET Student Loan amounts are applicable for the diploma portion of the course, so you will need to pay for your introductory course via another payment method.
Apply for a Tax File Number early
To be eligible for a VET Student Loan you must provide your Tax File Number (TFN) prior to the census date.
Applications to the Australian Taxation Office for a new TFN will take time, especially at the start of the year.
If you have applied for a TFN, you can apply for a VET Student Loan and provide a copy of your Certificate of application for a TFN from the Australian Taxation Office. You must provide your TFN to us prior to your census date to access the VET Student Loan.
Apply for a TFN at the Australian Taxation Office website.
We will contact you if your TFN cannot be verified.
Eligibility and supporting documents
VET Student Loans will not be approved for students who do not meet eligibility requirements.
Citizenship and residency
- be an Australian citizen doing at least one unit of your course in Australia, confirmed by providing a current passport, birth certificate, citizenship certificate, or
- hold a permanent humanitarian visa and live in Australia for the duration of your course, confirmed by providing official documentation, or
- hold a New Zealand Special Category visa and meet the special eligibility requirements for New Zealand citizens, confirmed by providing your international movement records.
You must have:
- achieved an Exit Level score of 3 or higher in the Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) assessment, or
- completed secondary school, confirmed by providing a copy of your Secondary School Certificate, or
- Completed a qualification that is AQF level Certificate IV or higher. If the qualification was not undertaken at Swinburne, you must provide a copy of the certificate.
Students under 18 years old
We do not admit students under 18 years of age.
You must not have exceeded:
- your FEE-HELP limit, and
- the Loan Cap for your course (currently $5,075).
Unique Student Identifier
You must provide a valid Unique Student Identifier (USI).
Important information about the VET Student Loan Program
You must read the VET Student Loans Information Booklet before applying for a loan.
You will start repaying the loan when you reach the minimum repayment threshold. The rate at which you repay the loan is based on your income, as you earn more you will repay a higher percentage of your taxable income towards your loan.
Swinburne University of Technology (RTO 3059) wishes to advise that VET Student Loans (VSLs) will only be approved for students who meet eligibility requirements. Please note that VSLs give rise to a VSL debt that continues to be a debt due to the Commonwealth until it is repaid.
Check the Study Assist website to find out more.
We encourage you to seek independent financial advice to be sure a VET Student Loan is right for you.
Submit the VET Student Loan request form
After you are admitted into your course there is a 2-business day cooling off period before you can submit your request.
If you are enrolled in more than one course you must submit a request for each course.
To request a VET Student Loan you must complete the Intent to apply for a VET Student Loan form by logging into MyFinancials.
Complete the Government eCAF
If you are eligible for a VET Student Loan we will submit your request to the government via the Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF). The government will communicate with you via your personal email, and provide you with an access code and link to eCAF.
You must complete the Government eCAF to access the loan.
Assistance and more information
If you need more assistance understanding VET Student Loans or have a question, you can: