MKT20016 Product Management
Unit code: MKT20016
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Contact hours: Recommended 8 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit aims to enable students to apply their learned marketing knowledge to the specific areas of both Product Development and Product Management. Students will, in particular, focus on innovation, product development and product management issues from a marketing management approach (that is to say, with a lesser emphasis on other approaches such as economic, technical or purely creative - these areas are not ignored but are treated as contributory disciplines).
- The meaning, importance and function of the product management role in business today
- The impact of product management practices on the development of goods and services based products
- The range of concept-generating techniques used for new product development
- The means of evaluating new product ideas
- Preparation of a product, a product launch plan and its importance as a marketing control tool for new products, product maintenance and product 're-launches'
- The importance of product positioning within the target marketing process, branding, packaging and the importance of successful working relationships with advertising, marketing, research, promotion agencies, etc. in the product management process
- International aspects of product management
- The importance of successful working relations within the organisation, particularly with sales, production, supply and research and development, in the product development process