MGT10001 Introduction to Management
Unit code: MGT10001
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Contact hours: Recommended 8 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit aims to provide a broad understanding of management and its importance in enabling organisations to be effective within a diverse globalised environment. Students will learn to describe the four basic management functions of planning, organising, leading and controlling across an organisation; understand the application of some basic management principles in an increasingly global business environment; understand the importance of behaving in a professional and ethical manner; and prepare academic reports and essays including case studies using the appropriate format.
Topics covered include introduction to:
- The challenge of management including the diversity of skills required
- The historical theories and views on management
- The nature of the external and internal environments including culture
- Social responsibility and ethics in management
- Planning and creative decision-making, including developing strategies
- Organising, leading and managing individuals and groups, including motivation
- Communication, including professional report writing
This unit is found in Bachelor of Business With a Major in Accounting, Bachelor of Business With a Major in Sports Management, Bachelor of Business With a Major in Business Administration, Bachelor of Business With a Major in Logistics and Supply Chain Management, Bachelor of Business With a Major in Management and Bachelor of Business With a Major in Marketing.