This unit is designed to address the governance and leadership needs of business and social enterprises and entrepreneurs in growing and mature organisations. This unit is a continuation of all stage 1 and stage 2 units, and forms part of stage 3 of the MEI, integrating interdisciplinary approaches.
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
After successfully completing this unit, you will be able to:
- Critically evaluate and apply governance and corporate leadership in various organisation types.
- Apply business fundamentals to the analysis, design and operation of a model to develop the framework of a governance charter for an organisation, drawing on a range of sources and stakeholder perspectives, justifying its applicability to that particular organisation.
- Reflect on the characteristics of the board in corporate leadership and examine the behaviour of the board of directors as a social system.
- Research an Organisation’s approach to corporate social responsibility and building a sustainable organisation making recommendations for improvement to a range of stakeholders.
- Communicate proficiently in professional practice to a variety of audiences, function as an effective member or leader of a diverse team, and use the basic tools and practices of business within project work
Key Generic Skills
Within this context it is the intent of unit Corporate Governance and Leadership that students develop the following key generic skills:
- Leadership skills
- Teamwork skills
- Analysis skills
- Problem solving skills
- Communication skills
- Ability to tackle unfamiliar problems
- Ability to work independently
- Governance – defining good governance systems, practices and legislative requirements
- Sensitising students to ethical dilemmas and their role in governance and leadership
- Developing a governance charter for an enterprise
- Types, roles and responsibilities of Boards and their relationship with management
- Organisation dynamics at senior executive and Board levels
- International and cross-cultural issues in governance
- Sustainability and corporate social responsibility at Board level
- The Board’s role in strategy and strategic management
This unit is found in Master of Business Administration (MBA).