- Online Courses & Degrees
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor of Business with a Major in Accounting
- Bachelor of Business with a Major in Accounting and Finance
- Bachelor of Business with a Major in Accounting and Financial Planning
- Bachelor of Business with a Major in Business Administration
- Bachelor of Business with a Major in Finance
- Bachelor of Business with a Major in Financial Planning
- Bachelor of Business with a Major in Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Bachelor of Business with a Major in Management
- Bachelor of Business with a Major in Marketing
- Bachelor of Business with a Major in Sports Management
- Graduate Certificate in Management
- Graduate Certificate of Business Administration
- Graduate Certificate of Financial Planning
- Graduate Certificate of Project Management
- Graduate Diploma of Project Management
- Master of Business Administration
- Diploma of Business (BSB50120)
- Diploma of Business (Operations) (BSB50120)
- Diploma of Human Resource Management (BSB50320)
- Media and Communication
- Social Science
- Online Bootcamp Graduate Certificate Courses
- Your Study Journey
- Flexible Study
- Support Services
Elective units are what turn a degree into your degree. They are units that you choose to tailor your course to suit your strengths, interests and career goals.
Take a look at the availability of the elective units we offer online.
Why do you need to study electives?
Through elective units you can explore subjects of interest that may not be included in the core structure of your degree. The electives you choose will enrich your understanding of your field of study and shape the way you think about the core units in your degree.
Electives can be an opportunity to further specialise in a particular area or diversify your knowledge base.
When should you choose your electives?
It’s a good idea to plan your electives at the start of your degree – this way you get a clear idea of what you’ll have completed at the end of your studies. However, if you’re unsure what to choose, or need more time, you do have the option to select them as you go.
How do electives work?
Electives can be chosen from a wide selection of Swinburne Online courses. And there are two ways that students select them:
You can broaden your knowledge by selecting units from a variety of focus areas
Here’s an example of how a student studying a Bachelor of Communications (Media Studies) might choose to broaden their knowledge by choosing a mix of electives from courses such as Bachelor of Design (Communications Design), Bachelor of Business (Marketing), Bachelor of Social Science (Criminology) and Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood).
- Contemporary Design Issues
- Introduction to Business Information Systems
- 20th Century Design
- Fundamentals of Marketing
- Sociological Foundations
- Introduction to Management
- Understanding Language and Literacy
- Introduction to Business Law
You can further complement your core studies by choosing electives from a similar discipline
Here’s an example of how a student studying a Bachelor of Business (Marketing) might choose to further specialise by selecting electives from similar disciplines, in this instance Management and Sports Management.
- Introduction to Management
- Introduction to Sports Business Management
- Critical Thinking in Management
- Sports Marketing
- Business and Society
- Organisational Behaviour
- Sports Clubs and Facilitites Management
If you’d like to start thinking about the electives that you will build into your degree, visit the list of Swinburne Online Courses.