Unit code: EDU40005
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Contact hours: Recommended 10 hours of theory study per week plus 20 days of placement
Type: Lower Primary School
Year Level: 5-8 year of age / Foundation to Year 2
Duration: 20 days
Minimum Attendance: 35 hours per week or 7 hours per day
About this unit
In this unit, students undertake a professional practicum in the early years of school (prep to Grade 2) in an Australian primary school under the supervision of an experienced qualified teacher. The unit aims to provide students with an understanding of the school curriculum at this level and their role as teachers in this setting. Associated coursework focuses on children’s cognitive and social development in relation to the transition to school.
Swinburne University has now incorporated the Graduate Teacher Performance Assessment (GTPA) into the final year of primary professional experience units. This narrative based assignment will allow you to demonstrate your competence in classroom practice by creating a unit plan, lesson plans, assessing, reflecting and appraising your teaching. Connecting the academic program to your professional experience, the GTPA provides quality assurance of graduate readiness, giving you valuable experience to help you progress into your new career.
- How children learn
- Transition to school
- Self-assessment of teaching performance
- Children’s cognitive, social and emotional development
- Managing groups of children
- Guiding children’s behaviour
- Adapting curriculum content to children’s abilities, knowledge, skills and interests
- Assessing children’s learning
- Recognising individual differences and adapting teaching accordingly
- Promoting collaboration and group learning among children
- Engaging collaboratively with colleagues and families
- Planning, assessing and evaluating for effective teaching
- Creating and maintaining safe, healthy and challenging learning environments
- Dealing effectively with typical inappropriate behaviour
- Using relevant curriculum documents to design learning experiences
- Using a range of teaching practices and resources
- Organisational policies and practices in primary school
- Code of Conduct
- Graduate Professional Teachers Standards
This unit is found in Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood).
View further information on this unit.