EDU30016 Teaching in Australian Schools
Unit code: EDU30016
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Contact hours: Recommended 8 hours of study per week
About this unit
The aim of this unit is to provide students with an overview of the cultures and practices of primary schools in Australia – both government and independent schools. Students become familiar with state and national curriculum documents and the contexts of learning in Australian schools. They compare policies and practices within different states and other national systems. The teaching profession will also be examined, looking at the workforce and issues confronting the profession.
- State Departments of Education
- Australian Curriculum and National Assessment Program for Literacy and Numeracy (NAPLAN)
- State curriculum documents
- Government vs independent schools
- Legal and ethical dimensions of teaching
- Structure of the teaching profession (Australian Institute for Teaching and School Institute [AITSL])
- Teaching in multicultural Australia
- State and national polices on teaching practice
- Professional expectations of teachers
This unit is found in Bachelor of Education (Primary).