EDU30007 Imagining the World through the Arts
Unit code: EDU30007
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Contact hours: Recommended 8 hours of study per week
About this unit
In this unit students focus on the skills and knowledge related to music, visual arts, dance and drama in the early childhood/primary classroom and design and implement arts teaching programs. Students will understand the contribution of music, dance, drama and visual arts to learning in the lives of children, and they will have the skills to support children’s creativity, self-expression, imagination and use of multiple methods of communication and expression.
- The historical and pedagogical contexts for a creative arts curriculum
- The value of arts based curricula
- Inquiry based studio practices
- Exploring visual and aesthetic dimensions
- Exploring musical and rhythmic dimensions
- Exploring story and dramatic dimensions
- Creating an inclusive curriculum that encourages all children to participate in music, dance, drama and visual arts experiences
- The roles of the teacher in facilitating children's creative, aesthetic, musical and dramatic development and confidence
- Evaluating music, creative movement, and drama resources for children birth – 8 years using contemporary pedagogical frameworks
- Using voice and singing to promote language development, physical skills and movement.
This unit is found in Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood).