EDU10004 Theories of Teaching and Learning
Unit code: EDU10004
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Contact hours: Recommended 8 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit aims to introduce students to theories of learning and teaching. Students will be introduced to what is meant by ‘learning’ and to the major contemporary theories of learning and how these relate to teaching processes. In addition, students will be challenged to reflect upon their own belief system and how this relates to different contemporary approaches to learning and its potential impact on teaching.
- Complexities of learning
- What is a learning theory?
- Where do theories come from and how are they used?
- Benefits and limitations of learning theories
- Application of learning theories to practice
- World views and their impact on practice
- Behavioral perspectives
- Cognitive perspectives
- Constructivist/Socio-cultural perspectives
- Post structural perspectives
- Contemporary theories from different perspectives
- Teaching and learning processes/pedagogy
- Learning and teaching with Virtual Learning Environments
- Overview of how research is used in education
- Qualitative and quantitative methods