DDD10001 20th Century Design
Unit code: DDD10001
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Contact hours: Recommended 8 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit investigates the historical development of 20th century design as a creative, cultural and professional practice, exploring key designers, innovations and movements. Students learn how design has been historically practiced and how this informs today’s designers who utilise modern technology, materials and production techniques.
Topics to be discussed may include:
- Modernism/post-modernism/contemporary design
- Design as political and social action
- Design, technology, progress and change
- Design principles, theories and significant figures
- Design, ideas and cultural production
This unit is found in Bachelor of Design with a Major in Communication Design.