Unit code: DCO10005
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Contact hours: Recommended 8 hours of study per week
About this unit
This unit aims to introduce students to, and help them develop an understanding of typographic forms, terminology, setting systems and conventions. This will be done using a variety of technologies. Students will develop an awareness of content and meaning through the exploration and application of typographic form in regards to layout and design principles.
Topics for discussion may include:
- Type history and development, terminology, conventions and technology
- Type form, families and classification
- Type legibility and expression
- Information and typographic hierarchies, composition, spatial manipulation and layout
- Forming and achieving communication objectives.
This unit is found in Bachelor of Design with a Major in Communication Design.