PSY10005: Introduction to Research Methods
This unit aims to provide students with an understanding of different research designs and research methods for psychology and health sciences. Students will gain familiarity with the scientific method, ethical issues in research, measurement, research design, and research methods. Students will be given the opportunity to develop professionally relevant knowledge in the selection and evaluation of research designs and methods and how to collect data that will address specific research questions.
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Describe the scientific method and scientific thinking principles
2. Demonstrate knowledge of the ethical issues in research
3. Describe the main concepts of measurement and various sampling methods.
4. Explain the general concept of an experiment and a quasi-experiment and outline uses of these designs in research.
5. Describe a range of research methods and be able to identify the strengths and weaknesses of each method.
6. Select appropriate research designs and research methods to address hypothetical and real world problems.