Unit code: EDU80020 Professional Experience 2
Duration: 1 Teaching Period
Contact hours: Recommended 12 hours of theory study per week plus 20 days of placement
About this unit
In this unit, pre-service teachers will undertake a 20-day professional experience in a secondary school setting under the supervision of approved mentors. Pre-service teachers will involve themselves in the life of the school and reflect on their practice and performance supported by their in school mentors and university academic staff. Within this unit pre-service teachers will continue to develop their understanding and competence against the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST) appropriate to this course stage. In preparation for this professional experience, pre-service teachers will engage with material relating to pedagogy, curriculum, assessment and policies relevant to a secondary school setting.
Type: Primary School or Middle-Upper Primary School
Year Level: 5-12 years of age / Foundation to Year 6
Duration: 20 days
Minimum Attendance: 35 hours per week or 7 hours per day
• Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (Graduate) focus areas 1.3, 2.6, 3.1, 3.2, 4.3, 5.5, 6.1, 6.2, 7.2 are explicitly taught, practiced and assessed in this unit, whilst focus areas 1.1, 1.2, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.5, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 4.2, 4.4, 4.5, 5.1, 5.2, 5.4, 6.3, 7.1, 7.3 are furthered developed.
• Engagement in a professional experience under the guidance of a professionally qualified mentor teacher.
• Curriculum documentation.
• Introduction to assessment practices and their relationship to effective learning.
• Lesson and unit planning.
• Establishing and maintaining professional relationships with students and other professionals.
• Using reflection as a tool for improvement.
• Setting goals for teaching and learning.
• Modify the learning environment to enhance safety and learning.
• Teaching resources including ICT.
• Effective communication.
• A range of teaching strategies that support students’ learning.
• Strategies for supporting students’ learning, well-being and safety, including policy and legislative requirements.
• Code of Conduct.
• Code of Ethics.
• Building on e-Portfolios.
This unit is found in Master of Teaching (Secondary).
View further information on this unit.