Applicants require a minimum of Year 12 completion or equivalent.
The following additional criteria for entry apply for this course:
- Working with Children Check
All students must have a valid Working with Children Check or be prepared to obtain this prior to placements.
- It is essential that each student is able to perform all physical activities linked to the unit, Provide emergency first aid response in an education and care setting (HLTAID004). This is a required unit that must be completed to qualify for the award. To complete this unit students must be able to perform life support skills such as administering CPR for two minutes to a mannequin on the floor on more than one occasion. It is mandatory to be able to do this task in order to achieve this unit.
Workplace or employer model (for those already working in the early childhood services sector – domestic students only):
- Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care (CHC30113). Students with superseded qualifications will need to undergo an RPL process. Applicants need to provide evidence of previous qualifications with their application – please submit copies of academic award and transcript of results.
- Currently employed in a registered early childhood service, including long day care or kindergarten, for at least 14 hours per week within an aged room (not moving from room to room). Applicants need to provide evidence with their application – please submit a letter from your current employer. Documents substantiating work experience need to be provided on company letterhead and clearly detail current employment role, duration and number of hours per week worked.
- At least six months relevant work experience. Applicants need to provide evidence with their application – please submit your current resume/CV.
- A current Workplace Level 2 Advanced First Aid Certificate – applicants need to provide evidence with their application.
Traineeships (domestic students only)
- Currently employed in a relevant workplace and have employer and other necessary approvals to enrol.
You can complete your First Aid Certificate through Swinburne Professional. Other options, including St John Ambulance Australia, are also available.