Swinburne Online has been announced as an Aon Hewitt Best Employer for the second year running. This accreditation recognises Swinburne Online as a leader amongst companies across Australia and New Zealand in employee engagement and outstanding people practices.
We’ve put together some of the reasons why we have been selected into this elite group as deatiled in our case study.
Values are central to our business success
Our business has grown substantially and at a fast pace. Critical to us keeping up with our growth and continuing to meet our business objectives is an engaged workforce.
Ultimately, this starts at recruitment so we have three principles when it comes to building our team:
- We live our values in every interaction with our candidates
- We do not compromise on values fit when selecting candidates
- We recruit people who will contribute to our success and growth
By focusing on a strong values fit, as well as great talent, we have recruited the right people across all levels of the business, allowing us to continue to grow.
We build leaders for the future
We know that strong leaders are key to employee engagement, which is why we have built a Leadership Toolkit for current and emerging leaders. The Toolkit is designed to identify an individual’s strengths and development areas, and then provide practical coaching and development advice on how to maximise and address these.
The Toolkit is based around two key elements:
- Leadership Skills – we have six areas that define what we mean by great leadership. These are judgement and decision making; people leadership; making things happen; commercial acumen; building and leveraging relationships; and continuous improvement/agility.
- Leadership Traits – we have identified the following traits as important to being seen as a great leader: Presence and Impact, Credible Communication, Presence and Composure, Compassion and Sensitivity, Resilience, Influence, Self-motivation and self-awareness.
The outcome of the program is better leaders, more engaged employees and higher performing teams.
Communication is transparent and open
Fundamental to building engaged teams is ongoing open and transparent communication.
We do this through a whole of organisation approach, including weekly all staff ‘standing’ meetings, regular team meetings, a weekly newsletter, and weekly one-on-one meetings between managers and individual team members. Employees also have access to ‘one level up meetings’ with senior team members and the senior leadership team are visible and accessible to all levels of employees.
We are immensely proud to have been accredited as an Aon Hewitt Best Employer. This recognises that our team is high performing, engaged and motivated, but most importantly they love their work, their colleagues and are proud to be working at Swinburne Online.